Thursday 7 November 2013

Fabrilushus - Shop of the week

Yes, it is my turn.  This week Fabrilushus is the Craft Britannia "Shop of the week".  The article below is taken from the Craft Britannia team blog. Find the team here: TEAMCB

This week we talk to Jilly, whose shop, Fabrilushus is our current CraftBritannia Shop of the Week , where you will find fabric accessories and home décor.
Describe your “typical” working day or week
I am a home body, so my days do tend to be pretty much the same. I start the day with breakfast in bed. which OH brings to me before he leaves for work. Yes, I know I am spoiled! Once up and dressed, I play with my dogs in the garden before getting all the boring housework stuff out of the way. If I am well motivated I can be done by about 11.30am. That is when I begin the serious business of sewing. I never eat lunch, so I have a good 5 hours before I have to think about cooking dinner.
SET OF 3 BABY BURP CLOTHS BY FABRILUSHUS
When you are not doing Etsy related things, what are you doing?
Well, 2 days a week I look after my 2 year old granddaughter. It is great fun, but tiring! At weekends I can be found at the Three Counties Dog Rescue, where I am a volunteer. Dogs are my passion :)
What was the first piece you ever sold?
It was one of my hip pouches in a lovely dog design fabric. It went to a lady in Texas who was so pleased with it she ordered another one in the same fabric!
What advice would you give someone taking up your craft for the first time?
Well the lady who taught me to sew used to say “measure twice, cut once”. My advice would be “measure at least 6 times, cross everything, say a little prayer and hope for the best”! Seriously, I have lost count of how many times I have messed up because I have not checked my measurements.
COT QUILT PLAY MAT BY FABRILUSHUS
What material do you most enjoy working with?
That’s easy! 100% cotton, quilting weight. It is so much easier to work with and always looks good.
If you could try a new craft, what would it be?
How to answer this? I want to try everything! Over the summer holidays I have been working on a large mosaic for my garden. It is a memorial piece for my Mum and contains a pewter heart made by Louise of Loutul. I am very pleased with how it is going as it is my first try. If I had more hours in a day I would like to learn to crochet and knit properly.
Which piece of equipment would you be helpless without?
Actually I could manage without most of my equipment, but what a pain that would be. I was going to say my sewing machine but I can sew by hand so I am going to choose my rotary cutter. I do have scissors of course, but it is so much faster with my cutter.
HANDMADE VW CAMPER VAN CUSHION BY FABRILUSHUS
Tell us about what inspires and motivates you
I was motivated to start last year when I realised that the dog rescue did not have any kind of craft stall at its annual open day – dog show. I vowed to change that for this year by doing it myself and I have done that. I am inspired by all the gorgeous fabrics in my stash. A fabric kind of tells me what it wants to be. Ok, now I sound totally crazy!
Tell us about one handmade item that you own and love
We are a very creative family and I have lots of things which I treasure made by my husband and my children. A particular favourite is a wooden jewellery box made for me by my eldest son when he was doing his apprenticeship. That was 17 years ago. He is a carpenter now.
What plans do you have for your shop in the future?
This is a hard one as I like making so many different things. I’m not sure that I have really decided on a direction. At the moment, I have been making doggie bandanas and also dog leads. I am currently perfecting them and have been wondering about possibly going in that direction and making dog related items my focus.
Thank you Jilly! We love your passion for dogs and look forward to seeing your new range in your lovely shop!
Follow Jilly’s social media here:
Facebook: @Fabrilushus, Pinterest: jilly_sansum, Twitter @DalmatianMum, Tumblr: Fabrilushus and her blog:fabrilushus.blogspot.co.uk
Jilly was talking to Nadine of imyinda and MuntjacVintage. Edited & published by Erika of ErikaPrice and Blucha jewellery

1 comment:

  1. Love it!!!! You are my inspiration - I would not be doing these quilts (the third Christmas quilt is pieced!!!!!!) if I had not gotten to know you. I admire what you have done.

    ReplyDelete