Monday 20 January 2014

My Knitting Technique.

Recently when talking about doing knitting for my January crafting challenge I happened to mention my "technique".  It seems that I do it a little differently to most people!!

I remember my Mum would have her elbows out and both needles would be kind of going at the same time. They used to fly.  I can't do it like that.  I have tried but it just doesn't work.  If I manage to get the needle through the stitch then I have no fingers or hands left to move the wool around. 

So, the way that I do it is to hold the right hand needle in a vertical fashion and to kind of use the left needle to move around it. The right needle does not move. Everyone seemed very confused when I said this so I have done a video for you.  I hate videos of myself and hate the sound of my voice too so don't look at me or listen to me, just be amused by my novel knitting technique"


It works for me.  Well so far!

2 comments:

  1. Ok, that's funny. I haven't tried it in years but when I did, it didn't look quite like that. I think the problem is not in how you hold the needle but in how you handle the yarn. LOL, but what do I know!

    After watching you, I found this. I liked watching this as they woman has lovely hands and her casting on was almost like a ballet! Silly me. Anyway, she holds the yarn AND needle together. Ok, I'm going find my needles now. Hope you can see this.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCgEUwESYZk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or here's how they do it in the States (continental method)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LtDMikq0A

    ReplyDelete