Thursday 9 January 2014

New craft challenge

I am not sure if I have mentioned this previously but one of my goals for this year is to try out a new craft each month.  There are so many things that I would like to do and never seem to have the time.  I figure if I just try out one thing at a time it will be easier.  A month seems a decent amount of time to give something a go.  Also short enough that if I really hate something it will soon be over and done with!

Who knows I may be totally hopeless at some things but may just find a hidden talent.

So, January is knitting.  I am a novice.  I knitted a square to earn my Brownie knitting badge that was about 45 years ago.  I have tried several times since then but just can't really get the hang of it. My Mum was a good knitter and was never without her knitting when I was a child. I can still remember the sound of those needles clicking away at great speed.  She passed her skills on to my sister who is a beautiful knitter although she no longer does it very often.

When I knitted that square for brownies I remember that I couldn't get the hang of holding the needles.  I still can't.  My technique is to have the right needle sort of propped vertically in my lap and then I knit round it with the left needle.  The right needle does not move!

Anyway, I decided to start with the basics.  A knitted square of plain stitches.  I found a website that said 40 stitches knitted on 4.5mm needles would give me an 8 inch square.  That seemed a good size.  I had the needles and some scrap wool in blue that someone gave me ages ago.  I had to find a tutorial to remind me how to cast on. It took me forever!


Once the stitches were cast on, I got knitting and I did remember how to do that basic knit stitch. I have since learnt this is called garter stitch.


I knitted around 80 rows to get it to 8 inches.  I'm not exactly sure as I lost count.  It took me about 4 hours.

 

I ended up with 41 stitches and one small hole so not sure what happened there! Do you see it?


This is the finished square.  I am quite pleased with this first attempt. All I need to do now is to knit about another 50 and I'll have a doggie blanket!  LOL.


This evening I am going to do another one.  I want to see if I can do one without a hole and keep the correct number of stitches.

A fellow Etsian who is on the Craft Britannia team is sending me some of her wool and a pattern that she has designed for simple fingerless mittens.  She needs a tester to see how easy her instructions are to follow. She will be on hand if I get stuck.  I am really looking forward to giving it a go.

I shall be doing updates throughout the month to let you know how I am progressing.


4 comments:

  1. Well done, looks good! One small hole is really nothing on your first attempt, it's remarkably mistake free! I'm completely bemused about how you knit with the right hand needle not moving at all, that's the one that moves the most for me! But whatever works for you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going to get Simon to video me so I can show you.

      Delete
  2. A great start, good luck with the mittens! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! I have never learned to knit, and really don't want to now.

    ReplyDelete